IndianKanoon is a search engine for Indian law and court judgements

indiankanoonIndianKanoon is an interesting attempt at making Indian laws more accessible to Indian citizens. There have been several attempts to make Indian laws more accesible to Indians – Indian Government provides all laws and amendments at and all court judgements/rulings at However, searching for and finding the relevant information in all these documents is still a daunting task. Morever, no kind of connection is provided between the laws and their interpreation during court rulings.

IndianKanoon hopes to address these problems and here’s how they describe themselves:

In order to remove the above two structural problems, Indian Kanoon is started. It achieves them by breaking law documents into smallest possible clause and by integrating law/statutes with court judgments. A tight integration of court judgments with laws and with themselves allows automatic determination of the most relevant clauses and court judgments.

They provide a Google like UI to search through various Indian laws and court rulings. You can view rulings from high courts of various states.


When you search for a particular law, it not only shows the law broken into various clauses (each clause is permalinked), but it also shows references to court cases where the law was applied.

For instance, say you search for the Information Technology Act. As you can see in the screenshot below, the cases where this law was used / applied are referred to on the top.


This startup may not seem as sexy as some of the other consumer facing web-apps, but I am super impressed by their work. Searching, finding information is simple and intuitive. Besides, it does solve a real problem — easily finding references of cases where a law is applied. If the Indian government were in the M&A field, I’d say that they should seriously consider acquiring them – at least that way, they’ll get access to some useful technology, rather than just dumping out information on the web and leaving it upto people to figure out how to make the information useful.

Do give IndianKanoon a spin and let me know your thoughts.

  • Print
  • Facebook
  • email
  • HackerNews


  1. subramanya sastry. ponnapalli

    Sir, I would like to know how to calculate the terrace area and the Undivided Share of Site (UDS) as per the Apartment Act of Andhrapradesh.

  2. its a very very useful site for junior advocates.

  3. Nicky Martins

    Having filed a Writ in HC, Mumbai; As a tenant I was desperately in need of citations/rulings for rent given to landlord for construction and here I have found a treasure where each time I dig I get something new and applicable.Thanks-a-ton!!!

  4. Mritunjay Choudhary

    Aurangabad (Bihar) Nagar PS Case No. 177/11 U/S 379 of IPC and 135/39/44 of Electricity Act 2003.The officials of Bihar State Electricity Board raided and found evidences of electricity theft through bypass of electricity meter. The officials of BSEB thereafter lodged FIR against us under said sections of IPC & Electricity Act and prima facie asses the loss of Rs. 300,000/- .

    Kindly suggest what to do.

  5. India kanoon website is very useful and easy to retrieve old cases as well as new cases under civil law and labour laws and easy retireval of judgements of various courts under various laws

  6. Thank you indian kanoon for helping lawyers in searching case laws . God Bless

  7. Does an arbitrator have the rights to conclude over the issue related to the suit property(land 50)acers (injunction suit) ;mahesh

  8. Very good information. Lucky me I came across your blog by accident (stumbleupon).
    I’ve book-marked it for later!

  9. I’ve learn a few good stuff here. Certainly value bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how so much effort you place to make the sort of magnificent informative website.

  10. anil kumar mahato

    I n departmental promotion interview, four members were in theinterview panel, When my turn comes one of the panel member went out on the phone call and did not sit in the interview, I coplaint it to the higher authority verbally. but nobody took interest. Finally I was given 4 marks out of 15 marks and due to which I was not selected by .23 marks only. On my written complaint MD of the organisation passedspeaking order and acceptedthat one member was out in the interview for 2-3 minutes but did not took any action. It will be great help if you give suggestion and related case and court orders and documents on the guidelines which should be followed while taking interview. What should I do now. my mobile no -9811756728

  11. I was looking through some of your posts on this website and I think this site is rattling informative! Continue putting up.

  12. Thanks in support of sharing such a pleasant opinion, article
    is good, thats why i have read it completely

  13. Rumours which experts state mac cosmetics wholesale drags to a shut, this is the follow-up Mac Makeup Wholesale

  14. Check out LegalCrystal is far better than IndianKanoon!

  15. I am curious to find out what blog system you happen to be
    utilizing? I’m experiencing some minor security issues with my latest website and I would like to find something more secure. Do you have any suggestions?

  16. right to information act 1995 is exemptions for central reserve police force

  17. I am working as advocate in district court it is very useful for me and other advocate

  18. Very good information. Lucky I came across your blog by my friend thanks

  19. Hope this will help many lawyers and people searching for Indian penal code acts. Great share.

  20. This information is very helpful to lawyers and people of Indians. Thanks for sharing.

  21. Its great initiative and it will increase awareness in common people..

    Best of luck indiankanoon team..

  22. hi I m working wid a Pvt sector bank in mumbai n have availed for housing loan after selecting a property. This property is resale n was in the name of mother n her son(say Mr.A) jointly. After the mother expired last year Mr.A got the share certificate transferred in his name frm the society. Since my Bank’s Loan n its legal team asked me to provide public notice of 15 days in the newspaper and also to take affidavit frm the siblings(legal heirs of the deceased mother)of Mr.A notarized in favor of Mr.A for the said property. Now after the No Claim certificate issued from the lawrence and the affidavit of the siblings, is it still required the siblings of Mr.A to sign the agreement as confirming party and also to be present against the registrar as one of the brother of Mr.A stays in another city and is unwell since some days. Plz reply urgently. Thanks

Leave a comment